Re: [NTISP] Post.Office and program delivery

Paul Wren ( (no email) )
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:18:28 -0700

Program delivery in Post.Office will handle this fine. We do this
extensively in-house at Software.com. Our system uses ODBC to talk to SQL
Server, which supports our tracking systems for a wide variety of uses.

You can just write a fairly simple program that reads the email from stdin,
does whatever processing with it you want, and returns zero on exit.
Program deliver will feed each email to it, as per the Post.Office manual.
(One tip: make sure your executable eats up all the bytes provided, P.O.
doesn't like it if the message is not fully consumed...)

Also make sure you have the latest version of Post.Office, older versions
(before 3.5.x) would not allow network calls from the
program-delivery-launched executable due to weird permissions corner-cases
in NT.

I'd be glad to supply the basic framework source code to folks directly for
the program-delivery-launched executable, although the specifics of our
processing would not be relevant. Of course this would be at your own risk,
and Sw.com support will *not* answer any questions about it.

-- PW
(speaking completely non-officially and not on behalf of Sw.com)