Re: [NTISP] Post.Office and program delivery

Richard Fink ( rfink@worldpassage.net )
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:50:04 -0700

As a LONG time 3.5x User of P.O, since original 1.0 days, I'll tell you one complaint I have- the total lack of "interface" to do things with PO Administration and email in PO user mailboxes.

I want to write Perl to setup new user mail accounts, change them, delete them, add local domains,... But PO does nothing to make this available to me, much less provide some framework perl examples. The end result is that thought PO is a completely easy to run mail server, it is not adaptable to user implemented automation. We are tied to the human based web interface.

Am I wrong here ?? Is there a place to get info and samples of ding Admin functions via Perl ? God knows, I won't EVER get a response from support on this one...

-Ric

At 10:18 AM 10/18/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Program delivery in Post.Office will handle this fine. We do this
>extensively in-house at Software.com. Our system uses ODBC to talk to SQL
>Server, which supports our tracking systems for a wide variety of uses.
>
>You can just write a fairly simple program that reads the email from stdin,
>does whatever processing with it you want, and returns zero on exit.
>Program deliver will feed each email to it, as per the Post.Office manual.
>(One tip: make sure your executable eats up all the bytes provided, P.O.
>doesn't like it if the message is not fully consumed...)
>
>Also make sure you have the latest version of Post.Office, older versions
>(before 3.5.x) would not allow network calls from the
>program-delivery-launched executable due to weird permissions corner-cases
>in NT.
>
>I'd be glad to supply the basic framework source code to folks directly for
>the program-delivery-launched executable, although the specifics of our
>processing would not be relevant. Of course this would be at your own risk,
>and Sw.com support will *not* answer any questions about it.
>
>-- PW
>(speaking completely non-officially and not on behalf of Sw.com)

Richard Fink Tel: 415 381-0215
WorldPassage Fax: 415 381-0822
P.O.Box 2339 rfink@worldpassage.net
Mill Valley, CA 94942 http://www.worldpassage.net
WorldPassage is a communications service and Internet Service
Provider owned and operated by RainTree Computer Systems, Inc.