RE: [Emerald] Users online - userid not a link

Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea-software.com)
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:32:40 -0700

From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
Subject: RE: [Emerald] Users online - userid not a link
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:32:40 -0700

> Well, we looked at the debug output, and found that the Code=4 start
> packets are in fact not sending back the Class attribute on the ones
> that don't display the link. I will follow up with our Visp providers
> to find out if they can send this back in the accounting packets. I do
> have a question though... This has been working fine before the server
> switch. Why would it suddenly stop working?

The main reason for the removal of the link in 4.5.5 if there wasn't an AccountID was because of how the SQL query created the online list and multiple usernames. For example, if you had an entry in 4.5.4 without an AccountID with a login of "john" and three john accounts
(one each in group a, b, and c) you would get THREE entries displayed in the users online list, although there was only one actually online. Each entry would have a link to the respective users in group a, b and c.

There's no way to associate the on-line entry to the correct subaccount w/out the AccountID, and hence why the link isn't there without the AccountID in the accounting records. The problem really didn't surface until some of our larger customers doing reseller implementations with multiple groups and non-unique usernames ran into it.

There is also another change to the on-line list with respect to the AccountID in 4.5.6: If the entry doesn't have an AccountID and you are not in the Admin operator group, you will not see it. This is because just like above, without the AccountID we can't tell who the specific user is and therefore can not enforce a security filter on it.

Dale