Re: [Emerald] Moving Emerald Server

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 03 Dec 1998 09:55:45 -0800

iml@interconnect.net wrote:

> We will be moving our Emerald to a new server within about 7 days. i
> was thinking we would do the upgrade to 2.5, however, after putting it
> on a test machine I don't think it's ready for prime time
> yet....especially without docs....lots of new features.

The user docs should be available this week. Up to date Admin and
RadiusNT docs are included.

> So...I'm wondering if anyone has done the same process and any tips
> advice. The plan is to just install SQL, Emerald and RadiusNT on the
> new server then do a transfer from the old to the new and point
> authentication at the new. Has anyone done this....is it that simple?

Full instructions on how to do this are included in the 2.5
release notes. Just don't do the upgrade at the end. :)

> Not sure if it will be a complication or not but the current server
> has a different log device we did that when we first started using
> Emerald and I'd actually rather not do that on the new server.

You SHOULD do that. Having your log segement on a different device
than your data is recommended and the only way 2.5 will create
the database now.