Re: Problems with Emerald

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:53:16 -0400

> From: Alan D. Criado <ACriado@elink.net>
> It appears that my TRANSACTION LOG is full.
>
> 1. I see the option of truncating it within SQL Enterprise Manager but I
> don't know if truncating the log will have an affect on our billing.

Double-click on Emerald (in the Database tree). Click on the Options tab.
Make sure "Truncate Log on Checkpoint" is checked. Click back on the
Database tab, then click on the Truncate button. I seem to remember it
telling you that it's a good idea to back it up, but I don't remember. I
haven't had to click on that button in ages (since I checked that option
that I mentioned).
This will have no effect on your data, so billing should not be affected.

> 2. I believe another option is to expand the log size, but I don't know
how
> this is done and don't want to make a mistake that can damage the
database.

Your best bet is to create a new Database Device (call it EmeraldTransLogs
or something) and allocate something like 25MB (that's what mine is and I
never have a problem). Then double-click on your Emerald database again
and choose Expand. Click on the "Log Device" selection menu and choose the
new device you just created. Next to it, enter in the size you just
created. Click on Expand Now. Now your Transaction Logs will no longer be
stored in the same place as your Emerald database data. More importantly,
if your logs should ever fill up again (possible if you do a lot of big
data-manipulation stuff at once), it WON'T affect the size of your
database, so data can still be entered into it. This is what caused your
problem before becaue data and logs were mixed on the same device.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com