Re: Virtual hosting on IIS 4 and NT 4 with MS DNS

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 17:29:47 -0500

On your webserver:
Set some IPs in your subnet to your NIC. Say your main IP address for the
machine is 123.123.123.2. If you add some IPs to that same NIC in your
IIS4 machine, you can assign each one of them to a particular website.
In IIS 4, your main website "auroranet.nt.ca" would be assigned to
123.123.123.2
You could then assign 123.123.123.3 to "something.com"...
123.123.123.4 --> "somethingelse.com"...
123.123.123.5 --> "somename.auroranet.nt.ca" (subdomain)
In DNS, you'll have a primary zone for each of your virtually hosted
domains. So in the examples above, you'd have something like:
Primary zones:
[auroranet.nt.ca]
[somename] (subdomain of auroranet.nt.ca -- not a primary zone)
[something.com]
[somethingelse.com]

For each primary zone, you'd have various DNS records like
[auroranet.nt.ca]
auroranet.nt.ca A 123.123.123.2
www CNAME auroranet.nt.ca
[somename](subdomain)
somename A 123.123.123.5
www CNAME somename.auroranet.nt.ca
[something.com]
something.com A 123.123.123.3
www CNAME something.com
[somethingelse.com]
somethingelse.com A 123.123.123.4
www CNAME somethingelse.com

You'd have to add NS, MX and any other CNAMEs or A records to each primary
zone as needed. Do not add an NS record for a subdomain
(somename.auroranet.nt.ca)--the toplevel domain is already handling that
with its NS record.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com