Re: More Problems with DNS stopping randomly.

Bill Fisher ( (no email) )
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 14:49:25 -0800

Does anyone know of 4 or 5 common DNS mistakes that might cause this
sort of problem. I have been looking for troubleshooting information
on the web or in the O'Reilly book, and haven't found much direction.
Since I don't know all the in's and out's of DNS, I'm hoping for a few
common config problems that look OK but cause the service to loop or
pause randomly.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

----------
> From: Michael Whisenant <mwhisen@airnet.net>
> To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
> Subject: Re: More Problems with DNS stopping randomly.
> Date: Friday, March 06, 1998 7:38 AM
>
> The problem that you refer to is that it is RFC compliant. Most
likely you
> have a configuration issue. Keep in mind that if you have a DNS
loop, due
> to misconfiguration that this IS likely to happen. What Metainfo and
> Microsoft have done in their new versions is to add a timeout for the
DNS
> request. Since they are capable of processing multiple request and
if each
> gets into a routing loop looking for the correct A record then you
will

> slow it down so that no other request will be processed.
>
> At 05:29 AM 3/6/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >I too have had this problem with Metainfo DNS 2.1. I have upgraded
> >the latest build 668 that helped alot, but every once and awhile I
will
> >still get a Dr. Watson and the service stops. You probably will not
> >like this but my solution was to move our primary DNS to Linux and
use
> >bind 8.1.1. Metainfo wanted to much to upgrade me to 3.0. If
anybody
> >does figure out the Metainfo problem please let me know.
> >
> >Steve Spesard
> >
> >Bill Fisher wrote:
> >
> >> I have been battling this same problem except I use Metainfo's DNS
> >> 2.5.
> >> If I use NSLooup and try to bring up any domain from that DNS
server
> >> get timeouts or long pauses.
> >>
> >> I found one thing that I was doing wrong according to the DNS &
Bind
> >> book. I had multiple "A" records pointed to the same IP. I have
> >> taken
> >> those records out and made one "A" record pointing to the IP and
> >> "CNAME" records pointing to the "A" record. This seems to helped,
but

> >> I'm still having the problems. If anyone could shed some light
on
> >> either of these problems it would be much appreciated.
> >>
> >> Bill Fisher
> >> dns1.excelsoft.com

> >> The
> >> all