More Problems with DNS stopping randomly.

Bill Fisher ( (no email) )
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 14:04:39 -0800

I have been battling this same problem except I use Metainfo's DNS 2.5.
If I use NSLooup and try to bring up any domain from that DNS server I
get timeouts or long pauses.

I found one thing that I was doing wrong according to the DNS & Bind
book. I had multiple "A" records pointed to the same IP. I have taken
those records out and made one "A" record pointing to the IP and
"CNAME" records pointing to the "A" record. This seems to helped, but
I'm still having the problems. If anyone could shed some light on
either of these problems it would be much appreciated.

Bill Fisher
dns1.excelsoft.com

----------
> From: Beverly Wise <bev@hyper-drive.com>
> To: NTISP <ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
> Subject: Problem with DNS stopping randomly.
> Date: Thursday, March 05, 1998 12:59 PM
>
> We are having a problem with DNS randomly pausing then resuming. The
> service is not stopping, it is just pausing, for about 30 seconds all
the
> way to 5 minutes, there are also no error messages in the event
viewer.
> Also, when this happens, there are no alarms or errors on any of our
> hardware. Sometimes I can't even ping the IP of our mainserver when
I am
> sitting at it doing the pinging.
>
> We are running Microsoft DNS on a Pentium II 233 with 128 M of RAM,
other
> hardware includes a Computone Intelliserver PowerRack, a Cisco 1601
Router