RE: Upgrading to IIS 4.0

rkm ( rkm@marshall.net )
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 23:57:49 -0500

I did an in-place upgrade of over 50 virtual sites all with frontpage about
a month ago and it went VERY smooth... Took about 30 minutes and works
better than ever... picked up all the frontpage extensions and all the
virtual sites no problem. Only thing it lost was the root ftp server, a
small proce to pay <g>. For what it's worth I ran it from the microsoft web
page.... just clicked and took all the defaults... Almost TOO easy and
trouble free.. guess I was due. Spent a lot of time anticipating it blowing
up.. but finally just went for it and was glad I did.

Richard Marshall
http://www.marshall.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt A. Butzin, DDS [SMTP:kurt@molar.net]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 1998 11:51 PM
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
Subject: Re: Upgrading to IIS 4.0

The upgrade isn't its a reinstall (at least it was for me!). IIS4 allows
multiple virtual domains on one IP address like the Netscate servers. I
like it and don't regret making the switch but if you do allow plenty of
time. I've read that the best way is to uninstall IIS3 and do a clean
install of IIS4. Upgrading over IIS3 trashed my system and I had to do a
total server reinstall.

Kurt A. Butzin, DDS Molarnet Technologies, Inc
President 1936 Bay Street
kurt@molar.net Saginaw, MI 48602
http://www.molar.net (517) 249-4638

Authorized iPSwitch WebVar (http://www.molar.net/ipswitch/index.html)