Re: relay spam

John Barrett ( john@asacomp.com )
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 20:29:32 -0500

Mitch Wagers wrote:

> Members,
>
> I just thought I would try and be informative...we got hit *hard* last
> night with nearly 3000 emails that were relayed through our system. Now,
> we are getting messages from the people that were recipients seriously
> complaining about the SPAM originating from us! However, it didn't
> originate from us and we now have a block put on *.mymail.net because that
> is one of the locations it originated from. I've also locked down all relay
> mail except from our local hosts/domains so hopefully nothing like this
> will happen again. I encourage ALL of you that run mail servers to do this!
> Individuals/companies that do this make me incredibly angry, but what can
> you do?
>
> The message pertained to "MAKE MONEY FAST" schemes, of course.
> Owners were ronh@hotmail.com, whether that is a valid address I have no
> idea, but he's blocked too.
>
> Regards,
> Mitch

Good luck with this one Mitch, The ones we got used an incrementing
address. We've tried but he always finds a way back in. He does not
relay off of us but he sends junk to our users regularly. We get the
bounce off of AOL and Hotmail both. It's not like I can block the whole
domains...

-- John T. BarrettSr. Engineer / WebmasterASA Network Computing(614)476-9876john@asacomp.comwebmaster@asacomp.com

http://www.asacomp.com"Bringing the world a little bit closer, One Customer at a time."