Re: PERL\NT?

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 13:09:34 -0400

> From: James M. Cook <jcook@interwebb.com>
> Make sure your file ends with .stm instead of the usual .htm or .html.

This is not necessarily necessary. On our system (NT 4.0, IIS 3.0), I went
into the registry and made it so that .html files act like .stm files, so
now any .html file will process SSIs (including running cgi scripts, etc.)

There's quite a bit of documentation that comes with IIS 3.0 on SSIs. Look
in:
\winnt\system32\inetsrv\docs\aspdocs\ssi
for all the info.

The problem that Sam is probably running into is that in the IIS manager,
the virtual root (or directory) is not checked for "executable". This is
necessary in order for SSIs to work. The only exception to that rule that
I'm aware of is:
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="somedir/somefile.blah"-->
That does not require that the virtual root/dir be checked as executable
from the IIS manager.

One thing to note that I noticed a few months ago: There IS a difference
between
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="somedir/somefile.blah"-->
and
<!--#INCLUDE FILE="somedir/somefile.blah">

If you leave out the last 2 dashes at the end while IIS manager shows that
the appropriate virtual root is marked executable, the SSI will not work
correctly--formatting will be screwy (among possible other things). So,
make sure you use the STANDARD: <!--blahblahblah--> and not
<!--blahblahblah>

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com