RE: unexpected kernel mode trap?

Randy Martin ( randy@austintx.net )
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 19:58:52 -0500

At 04:44 PM 6/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>My understanding of the AMD586 is that it is basicly a 386 instruction set
and nt needs the 486 instruction set. So I don't think it will run on that
chip

Nope! The AMD-5x86 is an enhanced 486 core. Most of these processors run
the core at 4x (133 MHz). We have had success pushing some chips to 160 (40
MHz bus x 4). The only problem pushing the chip that fast on the processors
that will run at that speed is that _some_ PCI cards won't run at 40 MHz.
However, most will run just fine. This is actually the fastest, best 486 on
the planet. It runs NT just fine! We run several of these processors with
both NT 3.51 and NT 4.0. They run just fine.

Regards,
Randy

Randy Martin Voice: (512) 335-2368
Partner URL: http://www.austintx.net