Re: horsepower vs # of RAS ports (economics?)

Adam Dillaplain ( adam@calpha.com )
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 19:10:26 -0500

I think I fail to see the economics of this. If I'm missing something,
please enlighten me....we're always looking for cheaper ways to go into a
market:

NT Solution:
Pentium 120, 32MB, all EIDE $1,000
qty 2 16 Port Rocketport $1,400
32 USR Sportster Modems $4,320
TOTAL $6720.00
that's w/o the cost of NT if you bought another license for it. Also tack
on a router/tsu?

Livingston:
Livingston PM2e $2,000
32 USRS Modems $4,320
TOTAL $6,320

So you save $400.00 plus you have 10 more ports for ISDN, analog, whatever.
Why do so many people use this equation? I must be missing something.

Adam

At 11:18 AM 6/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hmmm... 486 may be a bit slow. I run NTWS 4.0 on a 486-50, with 32mb, as a
>"guest" desktop machine and it's as slow as molassis. RAS is different,
>but my real life perception of this hardware/software configuration is that
>it is likely to be underpowered for your needs.
>
>-Ric
>

>At 11:01 6/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>The machine in question is a 486-50 with 32 meg ram. It has 2
>>Rocketport-16's, but only 22 ports have modems at this time. It runs
>>nothing but RAS.
>>
>>Rk
>>
>>At 10:54 AM 6/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>>It's our experience that a server that is handling only RAS dial-in lines
>>>is not taxed very much at all. If you are using the same machine for other
>>>server functions, it might add up to be a lot.
>>>
>>>-Ric

>>>=====================================================================
>>> Richard Fink Tel: 415 381-0215
>>> WorldPassage Fax: 415 381-0822
>>> P.O.Box 2339 rfink@worldpassage.net
>>> Mill Valley, CA 94942 http://www.worldpassage.net
>>> WorldPassage is a Premier Internet Service Provider
>>> owned and operated by RainTree Computer Systems, Inc.

> Richard Fink Tel: 415 381-0215
> WorldPassage Fax: 415 381-0822
> P.O.Box 2339 rfink@worldpassage.net
> Mill Valley, CA 94942 http://www.worldpassage.net
> WorldPassage is a Premier Internet Service Provider
> owned and operated by RainTree Computer Systems, Inc.

---------------------------------------
Net.Solutions
Internet Consulting -- Web Publishing
Waco, Texas
Phone: (254)399-8700
Adam Dillaplain
adam@ntsolutions.com
Providers of:
TexasINTERNET -- Waco's Leading Internet Service Provider
adam@texasinternet.com

|Some men see things as they are and ask, "Why?" |
|I dream things that never were and ask, "Why not?" |
| --George Bernard Shaw |