Re: DNS Assignments

Michael Miller ( michael@abraxis.com )
Mon, 12 May 1997 15:48:35 -0400

Josh Hillman wrote:

> > A curious problem. When I use Radius with the 'users.' file our Ascend
> > MAX 4000 will assign the connecting client the primary and secondary DNS
> > addresses if they are not specified in the connecting client's dialer.
> > However, when I use Radius with the Emerald database, the connecting
> > client must have thier DNS specified because the MAX don't pass the
> > information back to the client when using Emerald as it did when using
> > the users file. I am guessing that there is something I need to add to
> > the radius defaults in the Emerald admin to get it to do so, but after
> > looking through the list have not found anything that looks like it will
> > assign DNS addresses. Furthermore I can't figure out why Emerald would
> > affect DNS assignment anyways if it uses Radius to authenticate and the
> > parameters I have Emerald sending back to Radius are identical to the
> > parameters we have used in the users. file. Any help or suggestions?
>
> Open up a window for your Max console and go into:
> Ethernet
> Mod Config
> DNS...
> enter in your DNS info here. This will enable the Max to
> automatically assign the DNS IP addresses to the dialup
> user.
>
> With this set, any of the following dialup users/clients will have their
> DNS IP addresses automatically assigned. This means you never have to tell
> them what the IPs are--that way, incase you need to change them for some
> reason, you won't have to notify anyone. You just change it in the Max and
> your customers won't even be aware of it. This is VERY handy.
> There's no need to assign DNS IP addresses using any Radius attributes.
>
> Josh Hillman
> hillman@talstar.com

I have these parameters set allready, which makes me all the more
curious why switching to an Emerald database disables them.. makes no
sense. We have been using those parameters for quite a while. Whenever
I use the users. file with radius, everything is fine and the DNS is
specified (without special Radius commands).. whenever I use the Emerald
database, no DNS is assigned.

-- =========================================================="These days the search for detachment and solitudeLead to retreating to fortresses no one would dare intrudeThere are those whose restless burdens start to showAnd then there are those, who unmistakeably must know."==========================================================God Bless,  /: /:        /:       /: /:           / :/ :ICHAEL /-:NDREW / :/ :ILLER==========================================================