Re: [NTISP] frontpage 2000 server Extensions

Will LaSala ( will@greennet.net )
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:05:23 -0400

Wholly Cow!
That seems like quite a bit of work just to get FPSE 2k working.
I just did it on my new ecom servers and didn't have that many problems.
I have just one...hehe...SiteServer 3.0 Ecom edition doesn't like FP 2K *AT
ALL* so instead I manually set it up after the Ecom Wizard gets done with
it.

Here's what I did for just a plain IIS 4.0 server and FPSE 2K

1) installed NT service pack 5 (yes it says not to but I have more luck this
way)
2) installed IE 5 (again M$ says you should only use 4.01 sp2 but I still
have more luck this way)
3) installed Option Pack
4) installed FPSE 2k from the Office 2000 disk
5) setup the FPSE extensions in the FP MMC (just the email support stuff and
"upgrade extensions")
6) created the virtual client in a directory (D:\inetpub\virtual
clients\client.com)
7) Set the web site up in IIS MMC with HTTP 1.1 header settings
8) Installed FPSE on the new web using the task menu under IIS MMC
9) Went to my computer and started FP 2000 (only a 166 some I had time to do
the other steps ;-))
10) Added a user to either the Main NT domain or (if the computer is not a
BDC) added a user to the local NT SAM.
11) set the new users main NT group to my FP Authors group
12) Went back to my computer and load new Virtual web site
13) In FP I go to security and give author and browser to new NT user and
remove (or reset) all other permissions the only person with Admin
permissions is the Administrators Group
14) Called customer and told him to user the new NT user name to edit his
web site.

As far as FP98 is concerned most of my customers have not reported any
conflicts with the new FPSE 2K.
and if they did I would tell them to go out and buy office 2000 just because
FP 2000 is soooooooooo much better then fp98.

I hope this helps.

P.S. I noticed someone on this thread said their customer had a good ecom
plugin for FP 2K. I don't suppose you could email me with which one that
was.

Thanks
Webmaster
"Link Locally ~ Surf Globally©" http://www.greennet.net
Come Play On The Best Quake Server in the Northeast
Serving Eastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire
TEL: 978-363-8898 FAX: 978-363-1225 email:will@greennet.net