Re: [NTISP] frontpage 2000 server Extensions

Jeff Woods ( jwoods@deltacomm.com )
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:17:24 -0400

I did the upgrade at the behest of a client who wanted to install a
shopping cart / E-Commerce package that claimed to require FPSE 2K. This
client brings me a LOT of hosting business, so I obliged. It BROKE the
existing FPSE 98 in the process, and I couldn't get FPSE 2K to allow an
install, for the reason I quoted below. I *did* manage to get it going
since, in desperation, and here's what I wrote to that client about the
solution. Perhaps it will help some here:

I have SOLVED the problem for FPSE 2K by the brute force method....

Recall:

"Unable to create a web for the URL "/" because its root directory,
"d:\docs\aeicomp\" falls below the root of another web int he directory,
"d:\docs".

There *is* no web at d:\docs. I've spent hours trying to solve this one,
and cannot.

--------

Well, turns out that the initial installation of IIS asks for the home
directory, where all future sites will be located. This defaults to:

c:\iis\wwwroot (or some such tree, wwwroot being the end, on C:)

Ick. C: sucks. 2 GB limit on the boot drive under NT, and for safety
and recovery, I make it a FAT drive, not NTFS (thus you can access the
drive by botting with a DOS floppy if you just MUST). But a FAT drive
cannot have any security, hence no FPSE. (No, don't think that far ahead
of me, I didn't do THAT).

Since I couldn't abide by having the web docs stored on a non-secure FAT
partition, I typed in a new location where permitted, during the Option
Pack installation:

D:\DOCS (A many-gigabyte NTFS partition)

IIS then creates a DEFAULT WEB SITE in that directory! I always KILL that
site, since that's NOT what I want. I then install all directories under
that:

D:\DOCS\DOMAIN-A
D:\DOCS\ANOTHER-DOMAN
D:\DOCS\GUESS-WHO

Since they are all "on par" with each other, no site in a subdirectory of
another site (by definition, no "sub-webs" exist), there should be no
problem, right?

WRONG.

Remember that default web site it creates in the first directory you give
it? That was d:\docs, right? Well, I removed the site from the IIS Admin
pages using the MMC console, so there shouldn't be a front page web
there. But THERE WAS.

Deep inspection found _vti_cnf and other _vti* directories in d:\docs, the
usual hidden directories. I didn't think to look there for them, because I
did not remember there ever being a web installed at that "top level".

I stopped the web server, and removed these directories. I then re-BOOTED
the web server, and again tried to apply FPSE 2K to the site.

I did *not* get the error from before, and I do seem to have the ability to
now use the FPSE 2K tab in the MMC console, which I never could do before.

I have also been able to open the web (as Administrator) using FP98, and
have confirmed that the NT SAM account has proper permissions even now.