Re: [NTISP] Upstream Provider / Nameserver Change

Adam Greene ( (no email) )
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:17:51 -0400

Dan Waldron wrote:

>I learnt quite quickly that running your own domain servers pays off in the
>long run, enabling you to switch providers quickly. I think the order in
>which you're planning on doing it looks OK. Previously we have had two Class
>C which was even better, we got our new provider to start announcing routes
>on the other class C, then after a couple of days, simply switched to the
>other Class C, then switch back again after disconnecting the old one. It
>worked very well, and it meant no downtime at all.

Thanks for the advice, and for the feedback. It definitely helps to get more
than one point of view (my own!) on this stuff.

I did get a little confused by the switching you did, though. Do I understand
correctly that you switched from your old Class C to your new Class C, and then
back to your old Class C again? Maybe you're using BGP-4 routing and that's
what's confusing me.

Anyways, thanks for your above reply, which is appreciated.

Adam