Re: [NTISP] Advice on Changing Backbone Providers

Adam Greene ( (no email) )
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:36:45 -0400

Thanks to everyone (including Terry) who responded to my original =
question about switching backbone providers. =20

One person I spoke to outside this list suggested that I keep the old IP =
addresses and DNS mapping for our nameservers on our network even after =
we switch to the new backbone provider. He said that by doing this, all =
of our existing dialup customers can keep their Primary and Secondary =
DNS DUN settings unchanged, since our nameservers will still be =
associated with the old addresses. As new customers sign up, we would =
have them configure their DUN settings with the new numbers, but we =
wouldn't have to spend the hours of technical support helping our =
existing customers change their DUN settings. =20

Does this plan sound plausible to anyone? I'm wondering if there will =
be any routing issues on the Internet at large if only our dialup =
customers use the old DNS numbers. If not, it seems like maybe this is =
the right approach to take (in addition to the other steps recommended =
by Terry and others, of course). =20
=20