Re: [NTISP] IIS4 and Applications

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:39:41 -0500

From: Geoffrey L. Scully <info@olynet.com>
>So you can put in a www.domain.com or just domain.com without the WWW for
any of
>your sites and they come up on the same IP address? I had a problem with
that.
>So I just assigned seperate IP addresses. I wonder what you are doing in
DNS that
>is different from what I did?

This stuff is all DNS-related and isn't really related to IIS.
In DNS, you have an A record that points "mydomain.com" to 123.123.123.123.
Then you create a CNAME that points "www.mydomain.com" to "mydomain.com".
In IIS, you just create a new "web" with the above IP address. You can call
it whatever you want, but out of habbit, I call it "mydomain.com".

I don't know how it'd be possible for multiple domains to have the same IP
and yet produce different output to the browser (with the exception of doing
some funky stuff in Cold Fusion--we do this for specific sites that are all
related to eachother for our own company).

Josh