Re: [RadiusNT] Authentication using MS Access ODBC

Edsonet ( administrator@yellowhead.com )
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 09:24:36 -0600

At 12:01 AM 07/17/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Subject: [RadiusNT] Authentication using MS Access ODBC
>From: "Raymond Dy" <mondy@sflu.com>
>Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 00:41:42 +0800
>
>Anyone who knows why authentication takes so long using MS Access =
>database? I am using USR Netserver 16 as my NAS and the version of =
>RadiusNT is 1.60. =20

****************** REPLY ******************
Are you talking about authentification, or PPP negotiation? The actual
authentification should only take a few milliseconds. The timeout value on
our NAS is 3 seconds, and I have never seen it exceeded.

Point-to-Point Protocol negotiation is another matter. This is strictly
between the client and the NAS, and has nothing to do with RadiusNT.
Windows 95/98 is not really that quick when it comes to negotiating PPP. I
story I here is that is because Windows defaults to CHAP (which doesn't
work that well), and then reverts to PAP. Generally, we find that it takes
2 to 3 seconds for PAP. If the client adds Post Dial-Up, that time can be
extended to 7 or 8 seconds. Its a saw off. PAP is faster and cleaner, but
it does not support messaging. Post Dial-Up is slower, but at least it
tells you what went wrong. We recommend the latter to our users.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro