Re: [Emerald] Pro-rate?

Sheryl D. Weidner ( (no email) )
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:14:44 -0700

David,

You have two options for how you wish to handle this transaction. The
way Emerald handles prorating, it generates a pro-rate charge for the
current month, which resides in the MBR's history as a Charge until it
is rolled into an invoice. When you invoice the customer (either
through batching or by selecting "Master > Invoice Next Term" from the
menu in the MBR edit screen), the first invoice will be for the prorated
amount (in your case, 10/18 through 11/1) plus the first full month
(11/1 through 12/1).

For your first option: In Emerald's current operation, if you pay $19.95
against this invoice whose coverage dates in the system are 11/1 through
12/1, the customer will carry a balance and receive a bill next month
for a previous balance (the prorate amount) plus one month's service.
However, they will be marked paid through 12/1.

The problem with handling it this way is that the second invoice
containing the previous balance does not contain any detail on what the
previous balance is for (whereas the first invoice does contain that
detail in the line item for the Charge).

Second option: For customers who wish to use prorating, the best way to
do it currently is to charge new signups the full amount of the first
invoice by using Master > Invoice Next Term to bill them when you create
the account and services.

If you switch from anniversary billing to monthly billing, the first
month's fees are no longer a flat $19.95. In my experience, many cable
and telephone companies bill this way and charge you for the time to get
on their billing cycle with your first invoice.