Re: [Emerald] ICVerify and Credit Card exp date

Ted Beckwith ( ted@spyral.net )
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:15:12 -0400

"Dale E. Reed Jr." wrote:

> Ted Beckwith wrote:

> > > Backwards is from the perspective of what you need. From IC Verify's
> > > perspective, you are entering the dates backwards. :(

> > > Because each CC processing system has different requiresments.
> > > Thats how IC Verify wants it, and there isn't a lot we can do
> > > about it. This is a known issue that has been around for a while
> > > now (since CC companies starting issuing year 2000 and higher
> > > expiring dates).
> >
> > How hard would it be to make emerald come up with the format that
> > ICVerify requires? Emerald already modifies the date, e.g. by changing
> > 9/01 into 0901. why not take the extra step and make it 0109? You could
> > even make a seperate CC Batch format that wouldn't conflict with the
> > existing ICVerify format.
>
> Emerald doesn't specify the format for the expiration, so assuming
> that its in MMYY format (although the most popular) is not cast
> in stone. I don't understand the difference between saying "expiration
> dates must be entered in MMYY format" and "expiration dates must be
> entered in YYMM format". Emerald still can't enforce either. :(

While it's true that Emerald can't enforce the format, it is Emerald
(and not ICVerify) that can allow me to use expiration dates that follow
an established format in our database.

Surely you have recieved dozens of complaints with regards to this
issue. (I personally wasted 30 minutes of your support staff's time on
the phone today, not to mention the time it will take to reverse the
expiration dates in our database). Why not just create a "fix", as I
have suggested above, by adding a new CC Batch format that would that
would flip MMYY to YYMM?

I didn't hear from any other ISPs about what they have done to solve
this problem. I can't believe everyone using ICVerify has to enter exp.
dates in the Emerald database in a YYMM format.

Ted