Re: [Emerald] Open Letter to see how we can get our Emerald to

Jeff Woods ( jwoods@delta.com )
Tue, 25 May 1999 09:47:38 -0400

At 09:25 AM 5/25/99 +1000, you wrote:

>Living in Australia makes phone support a very expensive option. After all,
>someone has already pointed out that we are asking for bugs to be fixed -
>not technical support on our own setups.

>When someone tells me that there is a stable, fully functional version of
>Emerald available - one that doesn't require an SQL guru to check my
>current setup thoroughly before I even attempt to upgrade - then I will
>stick to the broken Emerald that I am using.

Sounds to me like you're asking for support on SQL. You shouldn't
undertake an SQL task, especially a mission-critical one, without fully
understanding what you are doing. I myself objected to SQL as the backend,
three years ago (for the vets on this list -- you'll recall). I claimed
it was expensive, cumbersome, and tough to learn. It is all of those
things. But now that I've come to a basic level of SQL understanding, I
know that it is the best tool for the job.

If you're having trouble, I recommend that you pick up a good book on SQL
server (perhaps an MCSE study guide). Learning about the tools you're
using underneath will do more for you than any level of support IEA could
offer.

>Remember - I didn't raise this issue - I am still patiently waiting for a
>release version that does what the docs say it does. I'm also waiting for
>the docs to be completed.

The product works almost exactly as documented for me. Yes, there are
bugs. They are found, squished, and new releases sent out. If you have a
specific issue, I recommend you buy a support contract, and then conduct
the discussions either by Email, or see if IEA will call you, and bill you
for the phone charges. (IEA can get on a calling plan for about 30
cents/min AUD to call you).

You're not going to get the level of support you need on this list,
though. You bought a $3000 billing package but aren't willing to spend
$50 or so on a telephone call to learn how it works? Sounds odd to me....