RE: Request for Enhancement

hostmaster@interaxs.net
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 06:52:59 -0400

At 02:41 PM 8/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Actually the idea of allowing simultaneous access with one user account
>is not as bad as it sounds. I have not been able to find an ISP global
>or otherwise that allows for this functionality.

We allow simultaneous concurrent connections if the the customer needs and
pays for this feature.

>Here is the scenario:
>
>I am implementing PPTP for all of my dialup users however I don't want
>to buy all of my users 1500+ an individual account. I would rather start
>out with a fixed number of accounts to be able to login to the ISP with
>a single account. The ISP can charge me as though I have 100 accounts
>or whatever number I decide on. I also would like to have some
>"overdraft" coverage in there like +10 connections for when there are an
>abnormally high number of users traveling.

The only difficulty I see in the above is the "overdraft protection". I am
not certain how I would do this, but, I feel that it cound be accomplished
by some scheduled procedure which would monitor calls online for a
particular username at some given interval.

>If this could be monitored to tell me how many calls on the average the
>ISP is recieving on this account. Depending on what the outcome is, I
>can adjust my account login limit accordingly.

Total calls for the month, as well as other statistical info regarding the
account is always available to any of my customers directly from our
website. It is not difficult to do!

>I have talked with many an ISP and they all seem to tell me the same
>thing:
>My billing software does not allow for that.

We have created our own "billing software" through Access '97 as the front
end to MS SQL Server. We are able to create or modify a billing module to
customize the billing to the customers needs. We then run a macro which
executes all of the billing modules.

My request was more specific. I want to be able to automatically notify
users which DO NOT have multiple logon ability of the fact that they are
trying to do just that :)

Jim