Re: RadiusNT and the SAM

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:47:43 -0700

Greg wrote:

> Ok, guys I need a little help her. I have read ALL the docs, and ALL the
> archives, but this is my problem:
>
> I installed Radius 2.5 all went well
> It will authenticate fine if the user name and password are in the user file
> explictly but not against the NT SAM.
>
> Radius is installed as a service, and I have a user in the User Manager with
> the password of WINNT\DOMAIN. And I told it to log on as that user in the
> service control manager of the Control Panel.

It sounds like you probably have this incorrenct. The password of
the user RadiusNT is running on is irrelevant (it must be correct,
however). The WINNT\DOMAIN format is the USER'S password in the
database or text file that is trying to be authenticated. Their
actua NT password will be whatever is normally is.

> Questions:
>
> 1. Exactly what permissions, or groups do I need to give to the user that
> Radius logs on as?

Administrator Equivalent.

> 2. What Groups do I need to add my Users to?

With 2.5, the users shouldn't need any special permissions.