Re: DB problems, again.

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:31:21 -0700

Reid Sutherland wrote:
> Ahh, it's ok. I figured that one out pretty quick. Actually, the only thing
> it checks the CustomerID field. So what I did was put 1 number in that
> field.
> ----------------
> CustomerID
> ----------------
> 9035
> ----------------
> (Autonum)
> ----------------
> Then I went into my SubAccounts and put in the CustomerID field that same
> number the whole way down.
> So when Radius queries the database it just skips to the SubAccounts table.
> Kinda a feature but most likely a bug :)

Huh? You think something is a bug that you most likely don't understand,
and I don't have a clue what you are referring to above and I do
understand. :)

The CustomerID field is what links the SubAccounts table (Services) to the
MasterAccounts table (MBRs). Main the maExpireDate (MBR expiration) and
Active are the two fields used from the MasterAccounts table.

When you add a user to the database, you need to first add an entry to
the MasterAccounts table. Once you have added that entry, the database will
assign it a CustomerID. Next, you will add one or more services from that
MBR into the SubAccounts table, with that CustomerID. Each SubAccount
record will also be given its own AccountID automatically.

This is what we call a two-tier database layout to allow a single billable
customer to have multiple services. You may want to take a look at Emerald
if most of this doesn't make sense, because Emerald hides all this database
technicalities from you.

-- Dale E. Reed Jr.  (       IEA Software, Inc.      |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs Internet Solutions for Today  |