Re: MTU

Michael Whisenant ( mwhisen@airnet.net )
Sun, 10 May 1998 12:21:23 -0500

Get a program called MTUspeed. If you are using the TC to remote connect
to your LAN then the larger MTU setting will gain better performance. If
you are using the remote access to the Internet then the smaller setting
will most likely give you better results. I many hundreds of users that
use the optimum setting in MTU Speed (576 I think) and they report it
improved their ability some 40%.

At 06:42 PM 5/9/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I had seen some discussion about MTU settings..but I lost the e-mail that I
>had printed for further reading. I looked at the archive but could not find
>many messages concerning MTU settings.
>
>The default is 1500 but I read in one place that a person reduced it to 750
>and it helped users download faster since they did not have to retransmit as
>large of a packet if it failed.
>
>I also saw where someone who had reduced to 750 was having MORE problems and
>had asked what it should be....no replys :-(
>
>We have 3COM/USR TCHs and NT 4.0 (sp3+hotfixes) RadiusNT 1.16.60
>

>Thomas Spaulding tsplding@talweb.com
>TalWeb Internet Providers http://www.talweb.com/

Michael J. Whisenant
Vice-President, Operations