[NTISP Digest]

ntisp-digest-request@iea-software.com
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 00:00:04 -0700

Message 1: Entering Partial URL in Communicator 4.04
from "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>

Message 2: Re: EXE to update dialers
from Mark <inetmail@fiber-net.com>

Message 3: Re: EXE to update dialers
from "Kevin Ingram" <kingram@cameron.net>

Message 4: Re: Blocking Software (Server side)
from Preston Korn <preston@jaycreek.com>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Entering Partial URL in Communicator 4.04
From: "Danny Sinang" <danny@uplink.com.ph>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 19:42:13 +0800

Hello.

A customer of ours is asking why the communicator 4.04 we installed on her
mom's PC doesn't support the entering of partial URL's. I was caught by
surprise. I wasn't aware of any such features. She also told me that she
uses Netscape Gold 3.0 and it did support it. It works this way - you just
type "hotmail" in the GoTo field and it will direct you to www.hotmail.com .

This is confirmed by 4.04's docs saying :

To enter partial URLs
------------------------------

If you omit certain parts of a URL in the location field, Navigator
automatically completes the entry. You can
omit the following:

The prefix http://. Navigator automatically adds the necessary prefix to
complete the URL search.

The partial pathname http://www.. Navigator automatically adds the
necessary pathname to complete the
URL search.

The suffix .com; Navigator automatically adds this suffix if none is
specified.

On Windows, when you begin to type a URL in the location field, Navigator
attempts to automatically complete
the URL. As you type, Navigator checks for previously visited URLs that
match the letters you have typed and,
if a match is found, fills in the remainder of the letters. If more than one
match occurs, you can press the
down-arrow key to fill in the next matching URL.
Also on Windows, the location field offers a pop-up menu to the right of the
field. The menu contains up to 14
URLs of pages whose locations you've most recently typed into the field and
viewed. Choosing a URL item from
this menu brings the page to your screen again. The URLs are retained in the
menu for each of your Navigator
sessions.

---------------------

So my question is, why is our version of Netscape not working this way ? How
do I make it work ? I've looked at the preferences menu and found nothing to
set.

Anybody have any ideas ?

Hope somebody could help me.

- Danny Sinang

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: EXE to update dialers
From: Mark <inetmail@fiber-net.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:47:56 -0400

Will it also work for new systems that have the stuff installed but are just
getting on the internet and haven't set anything up yet ?

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Kevin Ingram" <kingram@cameron.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:05:56 -0500

Yes, we have several cities with different phone numbers, so we give our
customers a floppy disk that has an HTML page they load in their current
Internet Explorer, and on that page are links to individual .ins files for
the specific city, they just choose theirs from the list. We compiled our
..ins files from the IE Admin Kit, but creating them as he indicated will
work just as well. It will prompt the user for his Win95 CD or disks, will
install DialUp Networking and TCP/IP as you specify in the .ins file.

We also included our Terms and Policies on the first HTML page, so they can
preview them before installing the dialup information. If you want to see
more details about what we have done, let me know and I'll email the files
to you as attachments.

Kevin Ingram

>Will it also work for new systems that have the stuff installed but are
just
>getting on the internet and haven't set anything up yet ?
>
>At 09:20 AM 8/11/98 +1000, you wrote:
>>Hi Mike
>>
>>If you create a file in notepad called whatever.ins , and add the
>>following detail (obviously changing it with your DNS, dialin number info
>>etc.) the user can then just double click on it and it will setup a new
DUN
>>connection and make it the default. This will work on virtually all
>>Win95/98 machines because the .ins extension is associated with the
Internet
>>Connection Wizard (part of IE and dial-up networking). Otherwise there's
an
>>app in Microsofts IEAK which I believe allows you to do this.
>>
>>----------------------------------------------------
>>[Entry]
>>Entry_Name=The Internet
>>
>>[User]
>>Requires_Logon=Yes
>>Name=
>>Password=
>>
>>[Phone]
>>Dial_As_Is=yes
>>Area_Code=02
>>Phone_Number= 1234-5432
>>Country_Code=61
>>Country_ID=61
>>
>>[Device]
>>Type=modem
>>Name=
>>
>>[Server]
>>Type=PPP
>>SW_Compress=no
>>PW_Encrypt=no
>>Network_Logon=no
>>SW_Encrypt=yes
>>Negotiate_NetBEUI=no
>>Negotiate_IPX/SPX=no
>>Negotiate_TCP/IP=yes
>>
>>[TCP/IP]
>>Specify_IP_Address=no
>>Specify_Server_Address=yes
>>DNS_Address=203.22.207.1
>>DNS_Alt_Address=203.22.207.2
>>IP_Header_Compress=yes
>>Gateway_On_Remote=yes

>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>Paul
>>_______________________________
>>
>>Paul W. Wilcox
>>Director - Sales and Marketing
>>Surf The Net Australia
>>Email: paulw@surfthe.net.au
>>Web: http://www.surfthe.net.au
>>Phone: +61 2 9439 9830
>>_______________________________

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Blocking Software (Server side)
From: Preston Korn <preston@jaycreek.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:26:17 -0700

Yes, I agree, it is an expensive option. For us it is not just an add-on
to our service but rather our distinction among other ISPs. We market
based on our filtering. The other reason we chose this is because we
didn't want the users to have any control over the filtering (so they
couldn't turn it off). I realize others may want the users to have control
but in that case I would suggest just reselling a desktop software. X-stop
has a desktop version that updates itself with their database. This way
you could just sell the software to your customers and make a little off
the sale without paying for the feature monthly.

Xstop does allow you to block other categories. The other categories are:
alcohol, alternative journals, anarchy, automobile, chat, criminal skills,
cults/gothic, drugs, employment, entertainment, financial, gambling, games,
hate and discrimination, humor, lifestyle, magazine, news,
obscene/tasteless, opinion/politics and religion, personals/dating,
pornography, self-help, shopping, sports, tickets, travel.

Some of those I don't know why you'd ever want to block them but I guess
it's there if you did. You can add and delete addresses from each of the
categories. It seems to work well.

My guess is the high prices for updates will come down eventually.

Preston

At 11:25 PM 8/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject: Re: Blocking Software (Server side)
>

>>We are using Xstop's hardware/software combination. They call it the R3
>>(www.xstop.com) It's a great solution if you're planning on being serious
>>about filtering. It also provides no way to get around it so children and
>>computer savvy teenagers can't turn it off. There's also no settings to
>>change on the client side.
>>
>>Preston
>
>I have looked into this but the $2500 server seemed to be an impediment and
>the $250/month for up to 100 users and then $800/month for up to 500 users
>was a bit steep for me.
>
>All the programs: (xstop, websense, n2h2, etc) involve a server on your
>site. Websense doesn't require the purchase of a box, just an NT server
>program that is the proxy on your network. It gets the downloads from the
>websense link up the network.
>
>All have costs of $1.5-$2.00 per person per month. XStop is primarily
>oriented to porn, by their ad, Websense allows individuals to setup the
>priority for several family members via a web interface, n2h2 seems pretty
>much stock in what you get.
>
>I don't know which is the best filtering method but I know it is a product I
>want to offer.
>
>David Payer
>OMNI Internet

Preston Korn Jay Creek Productions
preston@jaycreek.com http://www.jaycreek.com
4401 E. Butler Ave. Flagstaff, AZ 86004
520-526-5069
Multimedia and Internet Development
Management and Consultation
"When you want to do it right the first time."