Re: Blocking Software (Server side)

Preston Korn ( preston@jaycreek.com )
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:26:17 -0700

Yes, I agree, it is an expensive option. For us it is not just an add-on
to our service but rather our distinction among other ISPs. We market
based on our filtering. The other reason we chose this is because we
didn't want the users to have any control over the filtering (so they
couldn't turn it off). I realize others may want the users to have control
but in that case I would suggest just reselling a desktop software. X-stop
has a desktop version that updates itself with their database. This way
you could just sell the software to your customers and make a little off
the sale without paying for the feature monthly.

Xstop does allow you to block other categories. The other categories are:
alcohol, alternative journals, anarchy, automobile, chat, criminal skills,
cults/gothic, drugs, employment, entertainment, financial, gambling, games,
hate and discrimination, humor, lifestyle, magazine, news,
obscene/tasteless, opinion/politics and religion, personals/dating,
pornography, self-help, shopping, sports, tickets, travel.

Some of those I don't know why you'd ever want to block them but I guess
it's there if you did. You can add and delete addresses from each of the
categories. It seems to work well.

My guess is the high prices for updates will come down eventually.

Preston

At 11:25 PM 8/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject: Re: Blocking Software (Server side)
>

>>We are using Xstop's hardware/software combination. They call it the R3
>>(www.xstop.com) It's a great solution if you're planning on being serious
>>about filtering. It also provides no way to get around it so children and
>>computer savvy teenagers can't turn it off. There's also no settings to
>>change on the client side.
>>
>>Preston
>
>I have looked into this but the $2500 server seemed to be an impediment and
>the $250/month for up to 100 users and then $800/month for up to 500 users
>was a bit steep for me.
>
>All the programs: (xstop, websense, n2h2, etc) involve a server on your
>site. Websense doesn't require the purchase of a box, just an NT server
>program that is the proxy on your network. It gets the downloads from the
>websense link up the network.
>
>All have costs of $1.5-$2.00 per person per month. XStop is primarily
>oriented to porn, by their ad, Websense allows individuals to setup the
>priority for several family members via a web interface, n2h2 seems pretty
>much stock in what you get.
>
>I don't know which is the best filtering method but I know it is a product I
>want to offer.
>
>David Payer
>OMNI Internet

Preston Korn Jay Creek Productions
preston@jaycreek.com http://www.jaycreek.com
4401 E. Butler Ave. Flagstaff, AZ 86004
520-526-5069
Multimedia and Internet Development
Management and Consultation
"When you want to do it right the first time."