RE: Transaction Log

Jeff Cummings ( jcummings@foxinternet.net )
Wed, 6 May 1998 11:55:40 -0700

I understand the Log Device on the EMERALD database, but I am
asking specifically about the TEMPDB database.

Thanks
Jeff
_______________________
Jeff Cummings
Systems Analyst
Fox Communications
jcummings@foxinternet.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Hillman [SMTP:admin-maillist@talstar.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 1998 11:02 AM
To: emerald@emerald.iea.com
Subject: Re: Transaction Log

Go into SQL Enterprise Manager
Click on the "+" next to your SQL server name.
Right-click on Database Devices and choose New Device.
Name: Emeraldlogs (or whatever you want)
Size: ?? (mine is 25MB but 99% of the time, only about 1MB is
being used because I have the Transaction Log
"truncate on checkpoint" each night at 3:15am when the
database is backed up (diskdump))
Click on Create Now
Click on the "+" next to Databases
Double-click on Emerald
Click on Expand
Data Device: (none)
Log Device: Emeraldlogs (or whatever you named it above)
Size: (same as the value you selected above)
Click on Expand Now
Click on the Options tab.
Check "Truncate Log on Checkpoint" to keep the logs small.
Note: by doing this, you won't be able to backup the
transaction logs when doing a diskdump (backup).
Click Ok.

I don't remember if you have to stop/restart MSSQL service or not.

This will prevent your transaction logs from causing problems with running
out of space for your data.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com