RE: logging onto the network from different subnet

ken french ( frenchkc@gru.net )
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:37:06 -0400

Hints would be along the lines of
Wins name resolution
Browsing across a router

I think there are good articles on this in the Resource Guide
Networking section.

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Hillman [SMTP:admin-maillist@talstar.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 1998 10:15 AM
To: ntisp@iea-software.com
Subject: logging onto the network from different subnet

Since day one, our employees have been able to dial-up through our Maxes
and log onto the NT network here in the office just as if they were here in
the building. Up until recently, all network-related devices as well as
computers in the office and all dial-up IP address have been in the same
subnet (199.44.194.0). A couple of weeks ago, we moved all dial-up IPs to
a different subnet (199.44.20.0). Everyone can poke around on the internet
without any problems as well as get their mail, view any website on any of
our servers, etc., but no one can log onto the network anymore (unless
they've got a dedicated IP address in the 199.44.194.0 range). All
machines can see all machines as far as ping/traceroute, http, ftp, etc.
go--just can't access network resources or get a listing of the machines on
network domain (unless the user's IP falls in the original subnet).
Changing one of the workstations on the network here to an IP address of
199.44.20.x will make it unable to see the network (though can still see
anything on the internet including our own webservers/mailservers, etc.).
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

199.44.194.1 = 199.44.20.1 (our Cisco router)
All NT servers have both IPs set as gateways.

Thanks,

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com