Re: logging onto the network from different subnet

AIA - local ntisp reflector ( ntisp@austintx.net )
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:25:19 -0500

At 10:15 AM 4/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Since day one, our employees have been able to dial-up through our Maxes
>and log onto the NT network here in the office just as if they were here in
>the building. Up until recently, all network-related devices as well as
>computers in the office and all dial-up IP address have been in the same
>subnet (199.44.194.0). A couple of weeks ago, we moved all dial-up IPs to
>a different subnet (199.44.20.0). Everyone can poke around on the internet
>without any problems as well as get their mail, view any website on any of
>our servers, etc., but no one can log onto the network anymore (unless
>they've got a dedicated IP address in the 199.44.194.0 range). All
>machines can see all machines as far as ping/traceroute, http, ftp, etc.
>go--just can't access network resources or get a listing of the machines on
>network domain (unless the user's IP falls in the original subnet).
>Changing one of the workstations on the network here to an IP address of
>199.44.20.x will make it unable to see the network (though can still see
>anything on the internet including our own webservers/mailservers, etc.).
>Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
>
>199.44.194.1 = 199.44.20.1 (our Cisco router)
>All NT servers have both IPs set as gateways.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Josh Hillman
>hillman@talstar.com

Your callers need an LMHOSTS file setup correctly so they can find the PDC
and other computers on your network. If you were also running NetBEUI (and
all you dialup clients were running NetBEUI), you wouldn't be having this
problem. But, since you are only running TCP/IP (which is what you should
be doing because NetBEUI generates a hugh amount of spurious network
traffic), that means that NetBIOS has to run across TCP/IP. The NetBIOS
traffic can't find the PDC on the other subnet without some help from an
LMHOSTS file. Be sure and configure the dialup clients to enable LMHOSTS
lookups. It would also help of the computers on your network were also
using LMHOSTS files.

Regards,

Randy

Randy Martin eMail: ntisp@austintx.net