Re: logging onto the network from different subnet

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:03:39 -0400

> From: Rudy Komsic <rudyk@cyberglobe.net>
> First of all, What are ALL the protocols being used on 199.44.194.0 and
> 199.44.20.0.

TCP/IP is the only protocol used.

> second, have you tried setting up a PPTP Server with 2 Nic Cards (1 For
> 199.44.194.0 subnet and other for 199.44.20.0 subnet) and have your
clients
> use the DUN 1.2b or Windows 98 to tunnel into your domain.

Haven't done it and can't think of a reason why I would "have" to. I do
understand why it would be a good idea to do so, but it shouldn't be
"necessary." The only issue is a subnet issue and the fact that for some
reason, machines on one subnet can't see machines on the other.

> Third, what is the Default protocol for your network. If it is other
than
> TCP/IP then your Cisco Router my need to set up bridging for the Netbeui
or
> IPX protocol so that you can see your Internal network.

TCP/IP is the only protocol used.

> Fourth, have you tried doing "Start > Find > Computers" and entered the
> computer name you wanted to use the resources from?

This is essentially the same as poking around in Network Neighborhood
and/or trying to map a network resource on a known machine (even if the
machine and/or resource doesn't show up in NN); but yes, I did try it and
nothing was found.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com