Re: K56Flex vs. X2 (Boardwatch article)

Michael Whisenant ( mwhisen@airnet.net )
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 19:34:40 -0600

Actually the real issue is in the local loop. We have worked with
BellSouth, Seimens, Nortel, Lucent, USR and found several keys in how to
improve the chances of reliable 56K connections. Like if the subscriber
line is build out at less than 3db what steps to take, vs a customer site
that is over 10db loss. We actually will go on-site with very expensive
test equipment (on loan from Lucent) and run testing, then provide the
customer the information to connect reliably. The key is finding an
engineer that can explain PCM to you and help you understand the technology
and the weaknesses. But with all that aside, since the USR allowed greater
modification to the power output and other key settings, we got rid of our
MAXs. We have challenged any local, regional, or national ISP to
outperform our connect and throughput speeds and no one took our challenge.
The regional or national could not really afford at 19.95 to match our
level of service, and the other locals decided not.