RE: Basic question: reverse IP in-addr.arpa registration

Ronnie D. Franklin ( ronnie@itexas.net )
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:43:33 -0600

I disagree with Danny...

It is not your "right" to demand nor a "required part" that your upstream
provide you with reverse DNS unless you have that in your contract.

My upstream will provide me with reverse DNS, however it is much simpler
for me to manage. I just filled out the proper paper work at Internic and
the reverse lookups are pointed to my DNS servers and the standard lookups
are pointed to my upstream.... works great, and I have the ability to do
whatever I want with the reverse!!

If you want to do it yourself, the all the Internic forms are located at:

http://rs.internic.net/help/templates.html

You are looking for tin IN-ADDR form.

Before you register, check with your upstream to make them aware of what
you are doing..

Ronnie

On Thursday, March 19, 1998 7:38 AM, Danny Mayer [SMTP:mayer@mro.dec.com]
wrote:
> At 03:31 PM 3/18/98 +0000, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >

> >How do I register my Class C licence for reverse ip lookups? As it
> >seems that my domain look-ups are only one way, Name to Ip. What is
> >the procedure? Do I fill out a web based form? Do have to pay
> >another fee? Who do I contact?
> >
> The group responsible for the DNS supplying your Class C
addresses