Re: Recommend NT mail server

Mitch Wagers ( mwagers@ocsnet.net )
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 03:39:31 -0800

I wouldn't recommend EMWAC to anyone...here's why:

If you run EMWAC on your DNS Server it likes to just "grab" mail for any
domain listed in its local domain database. Even if you point your MX
records to an entirely different machine, some mail goes through and some
doesn't. If there's no user in EMWAC and it isn't supposed to recieve mail
by DNS records and it happens to decide to pick up those 500 messages for
that invalid user, it drops the messages, thus you are left with explaining
the loss of 500 messages.

I know, you shouldn't run mail on your DNS Server, but many do. Besides
that, it isn't caused by running EMWAC on a DNS Server, it's caused by
EMWAC. This can REALLY get bad when you have prioritized mail servers (by MX
records).

I discussed this with EMWAC over email tonight, they were skeptic to
believe...but they changed their minds when I said I had 67mb of messages
sitting on our OLD Mail server that arrived well after our DNS records were
changed. Yes, DNS was updated correctly.

On top of that cool *trick* it isn't very stable under a load and has very
minor SPAM protection. Although, it is a good program, it is free and can
get things going quickly.