Re: Free RADIUS server with NT Option Pack !

Danny Mayer ( mayer@mro.dec.com )
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:24:03 -0500

At 11:42 AM 2/12/98 +1100, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Like many of you we have been running a Radius server. We have had some
>problems with it being unstable so I have been looking for options.
>
>Next thing you know Microsoft come out with NT 4 Option Pack, which has
>a Radius server. How much does it cost you ask ? Zippo. Nada. It's a
>free download off their web site.
>http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/guide/whatisntop.asp
>
>It also does authentication off the NT SAM !! I have been testing it
>and it works just fine. Setting up the default Radius profile took some
>tinckering. We have an Ascend Max 200+ using an IP pool to provide
>dynamic addresses to dialup clients. Here's the profile that works for
>me :
>
> Service-type : Framed
> Framed-Protocol : PPP
> Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool : 1
> Framed-IP-Netmask : 255.255.255.0
> Ascend-Route-IP : Route-IP-Yes
>
>The only downside is that it logs to a flat text file only - no ODBC
>yet. And the second hassle is that it has no inbuilt reporting utils
>for the accounting. So I'm currently in the process of doing these
>templates now.
>
>I think it's not a bad option though, considering that any decent Radius
>server that does authentication off the NT SAM costs around $5000.

Actually, Microsoft has one that can authenticate against Membership,
ODBC, or even a Remote RADIUS Server. It's called Commercial IAS. However
expect to pay for it. It's codename was Basecamp. RadiusNT will probably
be as good as any RADIUS Server you can get, it has responsive developers
and support and it's available now. Basecamp is still in Beta and is
part of MCIS v2.0.

Danny

Danny Mayer Digital Equipment Corporation
mayer@mro.dec.com Marlboro, MA 01752