Re: ADSL

John David M. Miller ( (no email) )
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 01:25:05 -0500

My question regarding any of the much hyped, high
speed access types is: Where's the Bandwidth?

How can any ISP afford the backbone bandwidth
necessary to effectively support a significant number
of customers using it at prices like $99?

Even a T3 would rapidly become saturated. If the ISP is
responsible enough to give the customer what they advertise
1.5 = $99 then their backbone connection costs would
drive them into bankruptcy post haste.

I am basing this upon the methods that most of us use
for our backbone connections. If "enter bb provider of choice"
started offering us 45Mbs. connections at T1 prices
through xdsl or some other technology then OK go to it.
I don't see this happening.

Any thoughts? There is an ISP in CT doing the same at
the one you mention in NH. I must be missing something
in the economics of their businesses. :-)

The same holds true for Cable Companies among their
other issues.

John Miller