Re: DNS Question

ntboy@mailhost.iconn.net
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 07:54:23 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Mitchell B. Wagers wrote:

> this has solved more than one problem since I've been doing it. You are
> correct, many mail servers are broke! hahahah

The ones that count are not. Evolution will take care of the rest.

> It's very difficult to get one's own DNS working correctly when you can't
> convince your upstream there is a problem... *sigh* If anyone has tested,
> we have no reverse DNS for our two net blocks. I'm waiting to see how many
> times I have to tell the story. If anyone has a good suggestion for
> bringing this subject up with an upstream, I would be happy to
> listen...it's never worked for me and I've argued with CRL, AlterNet and
> our current upstream (3 different jobs).

There are two ways to get your inverse mapping working. One is to get PBI
to send an update to internic to make your servers authoritative for
207.104.141/24. As long as you have the entire /24 there should not be a
problem.

If they won't do that, then the other way is for them to set up their
nameservers as slave servers for 141.104.207.in-addr.arpa., with your
servers set up as the master. Then their servers will load the zone from
your server automatically.

If they won't do either of these things, then maybe you should look for a
service provider that actually provides service.

Bill