RE: 100% CPU UTILIZATION

Mike Topalovich ( Topalovich@terraglyph.com )
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 13:18:54 -0600

You can remedy this situation if it occurs again by simply killing the
processes running under the Virtual Dos Machine in the Processes tab in
Task Manager. I don't know what version of RADIUS you're using, but I'd
put my money on the fact that it's probably not a 32-bit app, and that
was what was running under the VDM. What are the executables that were
running in the VDM's?

Mike Topalovich
TGI Network Services
Topalovich@TerraGlyph.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Ghosts in the Machine [SMTP:casper@nospam.ndti.net]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 1998 12:53 PM
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
Subject: 100% CPU UTILIZATION

Hi,
We had a major slowdown in our server the yesterday. Using task
manger,
I found two NTVDM.EXE processes running, each taking about 50%
CPU
utilization. Could not find a reason for those programs to be
running.
Could not find a correlation between them and anything else
running
using performance monitor. We're running NT4 SP3 server,
hosting
webpages with IIS3 and some Front Page webs, also running
Postoffice,
and authenticating dial-in users with Radius(old version).
I finally got those processes to stop by shutting down the
server,
turning it off for a few, then turning it back on. M$ knowledge
base
wasn't as helpful as I would have hoped for the NTVDM. Any
suggestions? Thanks in advance.

C. Casperson
casper@ndti.net
http://ndti.net
Remove the nospam from the return address.