RE: Microsoft DNS vs others

Mike Topalovich ( Topalovich@terraglyph.com )
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:16:24 -0600

Thanks for the heads-up. Future secondaries will all be BIND for NT or
UNIX anyway since I don't want to spend any more money than I actually
have to on DNS, but I'm sure you've saved us hours of headaches down the
road.

Lucent's dynamic DNS product looked pretty cool in theory, but as with
most Lucent end-user products, it's untested and overpriced. I think
they wanted $15k for a 2-server license, and SunOS was the only platform
supported at the time.

-----Original Message-----
From: jcontre@iamnet.com [SMTP:jcontre@iamnet.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 1998 8:41 AM
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
Subject: RE: Microsoft DNS vs others

Well, after the 30 virtual web server (domain) and 60
dialup
lines, some times, the DNS aswer a query as "not found",
being it perfectly existant. The problem wasn't
performance.
The documentation of the product says it can only
process
5 queries at a time (literally it says "it is hard
wired").
We tested the bind DNS, and the problem went away.
We have 2 DNS servers, both dual pentium 133, with
64MB ram, one with NT 4 and the other with NT 3.51, both
had the same problem.

> The MetaInfo product is nothing more than a BIND port for NT
with a nice
> Java interface to the db files. What kind of traffic were you
seeing
> when the performance started to degrade?

----
Javier Contreras Albesa
Gerente Tecnico/Technical Manager
Interamerican Net de Venezuela