Re: What files does Windows 95 check when it boots up ?

Brad Albrecht ( (no email) )
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:50:05 -0800

You can close the "blue sky" windows splash screen prematurely by hitting
the escape button as soon as it shows. It is only there so that MS can hide
the fact that the Win95 OS really starts with a command prompt. With it
disabled, you can see what the computer is loading on startup. Try getting
rid of the autoexec.bat and config.sys since Win95 does not need them to
boot. They are only there for backwards compatibility.

Back to your original question.. Aside from Autoexec.bat and Config.sys,
Win95 first loads msdos.sys. Although it is a .sys file, it is really a
text file. Messing up this file can make your system inoperable. If you
ever get to sit down at this machine, you might want to set bootGUI=0 in
msdos.sys and see what scrolls across the screen on bootup.

Last of all, if there is only one flicker, it may be that the frequency is
changing from the default to something different when the machine switches
from command mode to GUI mode. One example would be if you changed the
screen size of the desktop to 600x800, etc..

My question: Why don't you do them a favor and tell them to have someone
look at it if it bothers them so much?

Brad Albrecht
Computer Innovations Online
http://www.cio.net/
Skagit Valleys' Premier Internet Service Provider