RE: Exchange Picking Up Email

Mark Bainter ( mark@turnergroup.com )
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:25:28 -0500

I hate to come in at this date with the solution you really wanted since
you have already begun investigating something different. I'm afraid I
wasn't monitoring the list very closely. There are two ways to go about
what you want to do.

If the client is running exchange version 4, then it will have to be
done on your side. I'm making an assumption that the customers paying
for store and forward mail services from your site have a static IP
address. (If you figured out a way to do this w/out one, please fill me
in, it would be really helpful to us. ;) Anyway, what I did for the
customers running exchange server 4 was to set up a perl script to wake
up and ping the addresses of the relevant companies. If the ping was
successful, it called sendmail and forced the queue for their domain.
This way, they didn't have to stay connected for more than 5 minutes and
we got to keep sendmail on a 30 minute cycle.

If the client has exchange server ver 5, things are much easier. With
Service Pack 1 some modifications were made to the IMC dialup page.
There is now a button there called Mail Retrieval. Under this button
you can define it to use ETRN to retrieve the mail or to use a custom
command. Since you are using sendmail, ETRN should be what you want.
Once they define their dialup connection to use this whenever they
connect Exchange server will make a connection to your smtp prot (25)
and send the ETRN command. Sendmail recognizes that and starts the
queue for that site and sends all the stored mail.

If you have any other questions on this (or if I wasn't very clear, a
common fault of mine) please let me know and I'll do the best I can to
help you out.