Re: Off topic : Windows 95 Error message : EEPROM not installed ?

Ray Mosely ( rmosely@mychoice.net )
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 09:30:28 -0600

Danny, the exact message could be an important clue.

RAM is random access memory, or volatile memory. It evaporates when
power is removed. CMOS is RAM
ROM is read only memory. PROM is programmable read only memory.
The BIOS chips are usually PROM's or EPROM's which are erasable
PROM's.
EEPROM is electrically erasable programmable read only memory. Flash
ROM's
are one type of EEPROM, which are now being used for BIOS chips and
other
sorts of electronic memory which requires powerless retention of
contents
and ease of re-programming.
This includes modern BIOS chips, flash upgradeable modems, certain
network
cards, possibly VGA cards and any other add in card that requires a
BIOS.

In short, without the exact message, it could be lots of things. CMOS
is
not EEPROM because it is RAM.

What kind of computer is it and what has been added into it?

Danny Sinang wrote:

> Hi.
>
> One of my clients recently got an error message just before Windows
> 95's
> famous blue sky and clouds screen appeared. It read like "EEPROM not
> installed" or "EEPROM device can not be found."
>
> Does anyone have any idea what this is all about ? Does it have
> something
> to do with the CMOS ? Low battery perhaps ?
>
> Danny Sinang
> President, Uplink Technologies, Inc.
> danny@uplink.com.ph
> http://www.uplink.com.ph/danny/

-- Ray MoselyISCET and A+ Certified Computer TechnicianMicrosoft Certified ProfessionalMosely & Associates, member CompTIA