Re: IIS4 upgrade over IIS3?

John Barrett ( john@asacomp.com )
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 14:26:38 -0500

Terrell A. McClain wrote:

> Question, was this on a BDC, or on your PDC?
> If on a BDC, did you NOT install Index Server and
> Web Sample Site as indicated in the
> Release Notes?
>
> I ask, because I didn't read the release notes carefully
> enough, and had problems on the first install too..but I
> was able to uninstall cleanly, and re-install without
> Index Server and the Web Sample Site, my machine
> threw no errors, and IIS 4.0 has worked fine since, on my
> 'play' server.
>
> I would like to upgrade my main server next weekend, but
> don't particularly want to have to build the server back from
> the ground up.
>
> Regards,
> Terry McClain
> Catalina Internet & Software Consulting, LLC

Terry,

That question was asked at the K2 Dog and Pony show also and Microsoft
unequivically stated that the "Gold" code now shipping and downloadable
WILL run on a PDC or BDC WITH Index Server right out of the gate. To
prove it they showed me the configuration of that very combination that
they were using for the show. I pressed them on the very loud comments
being made on some listservs about Index Server not working in this
environment and their reply was BETA3 - Incomplete Code - Full of Bugs,
Gold - Complete, Industry Tested and all services working as planned.

So once again they quiped..."Back it up, Tear it down (Uninstall) and
bring IIS4 up fresh"

I Dunno
John Barrett
ASA Network Computing