Re: leased line accounting

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 12:32:20 -0800 ()

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, bp wrote:

> I am in need of a solution for leased line accounting.
> We use a LIVINGSTON Portmaster PM2 for leased lines and it makes logs
> of bandwith utilization but if it goes offline for some reason it
> deletes the log because they are saved in working memory of PM2

It really just has running statistics, not quite the same as
bandwidth reporting.

> So anybody of You could give me info how You store and track for
> bandwith usage on leased lines? (I saw MRTG but it stores the info
> only to grafics but then I had to write it manually to the
> billing...)

Every NAS our router will have its own way. Its really a pot
shot of support. One customer has a way of doing it for a Cisco.
An SNMP solution like MRTG is your best bet for grabbing the
information, but then you have to process and summarize it. I
was playing with adding an extension for MRTG, but never finished
it.

Dale E. Reed Jr. (daler@iea.com)
IEA Software, Inc. | RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs
Internet Solutions for Today | http://www.iea-software.com