Re: Radius Recommendations?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 22:56:29 -0800

Vernon Brooks wrote:

> I am in the process of deciding upon Radius Server Software. I am
> currently using MacRadius by Cyno ( http://www.cyno.com ). I am pretty
> pleased with the product. I like the interface, I like the ability to
> group users and assign default attributes to the group, etc. What I don't
> like is that it is on the wrong platform. My entire operation is NT.

Emerald does that. Its a pretty basic feature, and its on the right
platform.

> I am in the process of trying to get NTRadius (from Emerald) working, but

Actually, its RadiusNT. NTRadius is a completely different product
(sorta like NTWindows isn't WindowsNT). :)

> am having much grief. I hope to use it with my existing Platypus (
> http://www.boardtown.com ) billing database. The only problem so far is

Personally, I'd rather Platypus write thier own then try and use
ours.

> that there is no easy way to set specific attributes for a user. I should
> be more clear. OK, I have Radius working, it is accepting auth requests,
> it is auth'ing from the ODBC database for anyone that is located there,
> however, I see no easy way to set special attributes, like static IP's,
> ISDN or analog, etc. From what Platypus has told me, I have to do that
> kind of thing in ISQL. Well, all of this is still a bit over my head, so I
> am still learning in that regard. Has anyone else gotten these two
> working together? Anyone using both and going through the same thing?
> Please drop me a line if you are, It would be greatly appreciated.

This is one of MANY issues you'll run up against and we can NOT
support the integration issues. See below.

> I am also still looking at other products. I glanced at Funk Software's
> "Steel Belted Radius". It sounds real nice, but with a price tag of $4000
> (no, that is not a misprint) it just isn't gonna happen. Anyone else know
> of any other Radius Server Software out there for NT that will:

$4000 is the going price of a RADIUS server (note, thats a RADIUS
server, NOT a management suite). Emerald's price is peanuts compared
to the rest of them.

> 1) Tie into an ODBC database
> or
> 2) Has a nice GUI for adding users
>
> or even better, both?

> BTW, has anyone already built a GUI for Emeralds NTRadius? If that is
> available, it would at least be a step in the right direction..

Yeah, its called Emerald. I am not quite why you avoid it?
See www.iea-software.com. Its the ONLY package that will integrate
flawlessly with Emerald, since both are ours and DESIGNED to work
together.

-- Dale E. Reed Jr.  (daler@iea.com)_________________________________________________________________       IEA Software, Inc.      |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs Internet Solutions for Today  |   http://www.iea-software.com