(no subject)

Danny Sinang ( (no email) )
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 14:12:30 -0000

Just a tip here. I tried using the "Accept Only Local Mail" feature in
NTMail, which is similar to what Larry is suggesting. But if one of my
customers uses a "permanent" email address ( i.e. john@iname.com or
john@poboxes.com ) in their email's From clause, their email is treated as
non-local - meaning they get rejected.

I don't know if Post.Office has a way around this. Just wanted to make you
aware.

- Danny Sinang

----------
> From: Larry List <larrylist@involved.com>
> To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
> Subject: Re:
> Date: Saturday, December 06, 1997 1:39 PM
>
> John.
> go to system config menu
> go to restrict mail relaying
> click on " In general, restrict relay mail except as indicated below: "
> in below list your networks IP adresses
> this will prevent mail from being sent thru your server unless it
> originates on your network.
> too bad everyone cannot do this the spammers would shrivel and die like
> the vermin they are :)
>

> >From: John D. Kerr <john.kerr@peel.com>
> >To: NTISP@emerald.iea.com <NTISP@emerald.iea.com>
> >Date: Friday, December 05, 1997 2:37 PM
> >

> >>Email Relaying Restriction
> >>
> >>Over the past few days, our systems have been used as a relay host for
> >>subscribers of other services (in the most recent case - CompuServe) to
> >>forward out hundreds of Spam messages. This action has put a tremendous
> >>load on the servers, and generated hundreds of failed attempt message
> >>the administrator (me!).
> >>
> >>We are running the latest release of Post.Office (v3.1.2) and it offers
> >>features to block/eliminate this type of activity (at least they claim
this
> >>in their adverts). I have reviewed the options available, and there are
> >>many - but I have not quite figured out the best solution for our
setup.

> >>What I think is the best solution, which I think would solve my problem
is
> >>as follows:
> >>- Allow mail from ANY outside domains to flow freely into domains
hosted on
> >>our mail server. This would mean blocking any mail not for local
domains.
> >>- Allow mail from ANY IP addresses on my local domain to flow out
freely.

> >>This sounds like a simple solution to me, but I cannot figure out how
(or
> >>even if this is possible) to do with Post.Office. Has anyone any
experience
> >>in this type of configuration with Post.Office?
> >>
> >>My second question, also around Post.Office, is whether I can have all
> >>messages which go to the Mail Administrator (error messages) go into a
NUL