(no subject)

Larry List ( larrylist@involved.com )
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 21:39:37 -0800

John.
go to system config menu
go to restrict mail relaying
click on " In general, restrict relay mail except as indicated below: "
in below list your networks IP adresses
this will prevent mail from being sent thru your server unless it
originates on your network.
too bad everyone cannot do this the spammers would shrivel and die like
the vermin they are :)

>From: John D. Kerr <john.kerr@peel.com>
>To: NTISP@emerald.iea.com <NTISP@emerald.iea.com>
>Date: Friday, December 05, 1997 2:37 PM
>

>>Email Relaying Restriction
>>
>>Over the past few days, our systems have been used as a relay host for
>>subscribers of other services (in the most recent case - CompuServe) to
>>forward out hundreds of Spam messages. This action has put a tremendous
>>load on the servers, and generated hundreds of failed attempt message to
>>the administrator (me!).
>>
>>We are running the latest release of Post.Office (v3.1.2) and it offers
>>features to block/eliminate this type of activity (at least they claim this
>>in their adverts). I have reviewed the options available, and there are
>>many - but I have not quite figured out the best solution for our setup.
>>
>>What I think is the best solution, which I think would solve my problem is
>>as follows:
>>- Allow mail from ANY outside domains to flow freely into domains hosted on
>>our mail server. This would mean blocking any mail not for local domains.
>>- Allow mail from ANY IP addresses on my local domain to flow out freely.
>>
>>This sounds like a simple solution to me, but I cannot figure out how (or
>>even if this is possible) to do with Post.Office. Has anyone any experience
>>in this type of configuration with Post.Office?
>>
>>My second question, also around Post.Office, is whether I can have all
>>messages which go to the Mail Administrator (error messages) go into a NUL
>>device?? I really don't want to have to look at all the error messages on
>>the Mail Administrator account daily, nor do I want to be forced to clear
>>out message from the "Deferred Mail", "Handle Error Messages" system
>>administrator option.
>>
>>Any advice on these situations would be appreciated.
>>
>>John
>>john.kerr@peel.com

Larry Coon
Involved, Inc. Get Involved! http://www.involved.com
Voice - (503) 226-4006 Fax - (503) 497-9100