RE: MS Exchange as Mailserver

George G. Stossel ( (no email) )
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 08:38:00 -0500

1. Yes. If everyone has some M$ mail or exchange client, then they
connect to the server for sending mail. With MS Mail, there is an
Exchange server component that emulates the Mail postoffice. With
Exchange client (or Outlook) you connect directly with the server for
sending mail.

2. Yes. If you mean that you have Email addresses for varying domains.
When you set up a mailbox in exchange, you get a set of default Email
addresses for the various types of mail services you are hosting (MS
Mail, Internet, X.25, etc.). You can then define additional addresses
of any type that are served by the box. You just need to tell IMC
(internet mail connector) that these domains are inbound.

3. Yes. The IMC functions in this roll on either a dedicated connection
or in a dialup mode.

Your customers will have to configure your Exchange server name as =
their
mail server.

We are an ISP and are using Exchange as our mail server. It is not
simple to set up, but it works well when it is set up properly. We
bought Video Training tapes from Keystone to get us started. This was =
big help at first, just to be able to understand the architecture, but
for later debugging they were of no help.

uplink-providers